Tuesday, October 16, 2007

High Achiever or Dunderhead?

A question that I ask myself on a regular basis, about many things.

Recently it's relevant because I only missed one day of running after I fell last Tuesday morning, breaking my finger and scraping/bruising various other body parts. I didn't run last Wednesday, but I did run on Friday, go for my longest run yet on Sunday (just over 11 miles) and run again yesterday afternoon.

I have been sticking to my promise not to run in the dark until my hands are healed and capable of catching me in the event of another mishap. But I've still been running. And I finally signed up for the half-marathon in November that I've been training for.

And I can't decide if this stubbornness is something to be celebrated or rued. Is it a good thing that I'm continuing to train through adversity? Or is it a sign that I take things too seriously, and I don't know when to quit?

I'm thinking it's probably a little bit of both. I started training for this specific race at the end of June, so I've spent far too much time and effort not to even make it to the starting line. Plus, even before starting this training program, I have 3 years of gradually increasing my running to even get to the point where I would consider running a half-marathon.

I don't think I'm to the point (yet?) where I'm addicted to running. If I'm sick, I take a day off or cut my run short. I always have at least 2 days off every week. And, after November, I'll cut my running way back until after the snow melts in the Spring.

So for now, I'm going to say the balance is on the side of High Achiever. I am stubborn, which is good and bad. But even with the broken finger, I think I have a ways to go, in this situation, until the pendulum swings to dunderhead.

* I'm really mad because I missed the BlogFriday word last week. So I'm getting an early start on this week's word: Achievement.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan,
One of the recent Runner's World quotes of the day was "Even if you fall flat on your face at least you are moving forward" Another of my favorites from marathon training was "Run when you can, Walk if you have to, Crawl if you must, Just never give up. Guess I have to officially sign up for the 1/2 marathon now too, can't wait to join you and Keith in November

Jonathan Beckett said...

I would say that because you are able to have this argument with yourself, you are fine.

I think it's great that you are making the time to train, and not letting silly things like hands stop you :)

The finish line will make it all worth it - or at least the goody bag if they are giving them out... (I freely admit to running for the goody bags)

M. Lubbers said...

Thanks for the encouragement! You make a good point, Jonathan, about the existence of the argument perhaps negating the need for it.

This particular race is rumored to have a very slim goody bag. So far I believe there's less than 30 runner signed up for the half-marathon event. It's just you and the trail.

Anonymous said...

the important thing is that you got back up and kept going. what's that commercial for toyota or someone say? go in any direction as long as it's moving forward.

good luck on the half marathon!

M. Lubbers said...

Thanks for the good wishes, Stef. I'll need all the luck I can get!;)

------- said...

I admire your persistence in the face of pain. You are keeping your focus on the goal, not the obstacles that pop up to stop you. And, at the same time, you are making certain that you are keeping in balance (cutting back on running as necessity and circumstances dictate). I'd say that you'll be running full marathons (if that's what you eventually want to do) before you know it! Congratulations!!

M. Lubbers said...

Thanks, Laveda! I'm not sure about full marathons... but then again if you'd asked me a year ago, I would have said a half-marathon was out of the picture. So I guess you never know:)