Friday, June 09, 2006

10 Trivial Things

Based on comments posted, I think it's pretty safe to say that I know and interact with 99.2% of my readers on a regular basis. Plus we've already decided that Andy is an honorary member of the group, even if we haven't met face-to-face. (If you're reading this blog and I don't know you, feel free to post a comment and boost my self-esteem!)

Even so, there may be a few surprising facts about me of which you many be unaware. And since you want to know everything there is to know about me ....

10 Completely Useless Facts About Me*

  1. I can clap with one hand. Oh yes! A highly sought-after skill.

  2. I have never been to Disneyland or Disneyworld, and that's okay with me.

  3. Much to Keith's surprise, I got a perfect score on the analytical portion of the GRE.

  4. I like to eat macaroni mixed with applesauce.

  5. In 4th grade, I tied for first place in a Hulahoop contest with Eric Bridenbaker.

  6. My favorite word is "mucilaginous", even if I can't spell it.

  7. If I were born a boy, my name would have been Ryan Charles.

  8. I am a failure as an English major until I finally read Joyce's Ulysses, but it intimidates me. Maybe someday.

  9. For breakfast this morning, I had Raisin Nut Bran. (Yes, it is in full supply in Cleveland—two different box sizes, even!)

  10. The first time I went white water rafting, I was sitting in front of the guide so he could keep an eye on me. Instead, he fell out of the boat during some rapids and I had to help pull him back in.


  11. There you have it! Ten random facts about me that you neither needed nor wanted. Feel free to share your own!

    *This blog partially inspired by "The Word" on The Colbert Report. To view a video of the inspirational, truthigious piece, click here and view the "Me" segment.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's funny. Have you seen the Colbert shirt at Scary Lion? Colbert is funny as hell.

M. Lubbers said...

Welcome, Adam! That's a great shirt. You probably already know that truthiness was voted the word of 2005 by the American Dialect Society.

All Colbert fans should also listen to the audiobook version of Wigfield by Colbert, Amy Sedaris, and Paul Dinello. Hilarious!

To be honest, I haven't watched as much of The Colbert Report as I'd like to. Maybe once we move and get DVR back into our lives ...

Anonymous said...

I see you your Truthiness t-shirt and raise you a Stewart/Colbert '08.

Speaking of trivia: As you may or may not know, we had a special surprise guest for Pub Quiz, but we still landed in a several-way tie for fifth place. Adding insult to this injury: First prize was two-hundred-and-some bucks-- it was super crowded. On the plus side, I got to show off a recently received gift which was the source of this month's team name, The Nun-Chuckers.


I'm surprised Cathy hasn't weighed in on the James Joyce/Ulysses issue, because I think she's been struggling with that lately herself. But maybe she had actual work to do today? I wouldn't know, because I was enjoying the last day of my vacation (sigh). Monday morning will be quite a shock to my system, let me tell you.

Anonymous said...

I will start working on Ulysses again this week in honor of Bloomsday. I figure at this rate, I'll finish it before I die. Unless I find someone else who wants to go to Ireland for Bloomsday, then I'll have to finish it sooner.

Anonymous said...

Program Alert!

Will Shortz will be on Letterman tonight (Monday 6/12) to talk about the movie about crossword puzzles. Set your VCR . . .

M. Lubbers said...

Amy: Just be careful; if you wear the Stewart/Colbert 08 shirt while using the Nunchucker, you may lose some votes.

How was the Will Shortz thing? I missed it, because I'm VCR incompetent (and can never remember to set it).

Anonymous said...

Well, I haven't bought the S/C '08 shirt yet -- I've just been coveting it from afar.

Despite the fact that I have two VCRs, I was busy taping other things between 11:30 and 12:30. I tried to stay up and watch it in real time, but failed miserably at about 11:15.

I figure that I can hunt up a clip online somewhere, though. If I find a link, I'll let you know.