Friday, June 02, 2006

The Mysterious Stretching of Time

Why do four-day weeks always seem to last forever? After having a fabulous 3-day weekend, this week has stretched into infinity. The four work days somehow stretched and morphed into a painful, 7-day, 18-hours/day work purgatory.

How does it happen? Why does it always work like that? I wonder if it would be different if you always had a 4-day week. Would a 3-day week seem endless? I have a hard imagining a 3-day week ever feeling long.

I remember hearing in a French class, long long ago, that in France instead of having a weekend they typically have Wednesday and Sunday off. Whether this is true or not, I have no idea. But it's an interesting concept. Would it be better or worse if you split up the weekend? On the one hand, you'd never go more than 3 days without a day off (assuming you're the typical 5-day/week office drone like myself). But, no Saturday?!? I don't know if I could handle it.

Of course, if others are to be trusted, the French never do much work anyway, so it's a moot point for them.

Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: