Friday, June 23, 2006

Office Snow Day

I feel like a kid who comes downstairs, bleary-eyed before school, only to discover that school's been cancelled and the entire day is hers to command.

When I got to work this morning, the office was all locked up tight. This had never happened before. In an office of 6 people (including myself), two will not be in at all today. Two go about their own business, and the remaining one may or may not have some small tasks for me to do.

But, for the most part, I think I may be left to my own devices today without anyone noticing or caring. Maybe now I'll go see what's in my Amazon Gold Box, or check out the latest celebrity gossip. I have (obviously) written my blog already. All the possibilities, and it's not even 8:45!

I guess it's not exactly a snow day. I'm still here for 8 hours, chained to my desk. But I get the delicious thrill of looking busy to casual passers-by, without accomplishing anything that would be considered actual work by the company. And I'm looking forward to it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Snow day here too! Just Amy and me. I get so much more done when I'm not interrupted every five minutes to show someone how to attach to an e-mail or get their head out of their ... never mind.

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

My snow day so far:

-- Setting off the building alarm because I typed in the wrong code (Today was the first day that I had to unlock the front door myself and enter the code. Of course, I left the post-it note with the code written on it at home, so I had to guess at what I thought the code was. My second try was right, so I was spared a visit from the cops. Yay.)

-- Listening to the Mike Trivisonno interview with LeBron James (I hate Triv, but I kind of hope that he wins their bet, so LeBron has to wear an Indians hat instead of his usual camo Yankees one.)

-- Reading vintage style manuals from the library, like Write to the Point, (C) 1969, and Copy Reading and News Editing (C)1951

-- Listening to Ryan Seacrest interview Jessica Simpson and play her new single (Stop laughing. You know what else is oddly hummable? Paris Hilton's single. There, I said it. Given that the songs rip off bits of Madonna/"Holiday" & Shakira/pick any song & The Supremes/"Ain't No Mountain High Enough" [Jessica] and Blondie [Paris], of course they're going to stick in your head. Besides, I'm on Team Nick.)

-- Reading my free copy of "55 Fun Things to Do with Google" from

-- Coming to Megan's blog to let her know about the Lifehacker entry
"Find Answers to Crossword Puzzles with MoreWords"

-- Sneaking out before 12:30 to get lunch

Anonymous said...

Doh! I got so excited about lunch that I forgot to check my HTML!

-- The Blondie song is "The Tide Is High"

-- The Google book is here:

-- The Lifehacker post is here:
http://www.lifehacker.com/software/fun/find-answers-to-crossword-puzzles-with-morewords-182824.php


The

Anonymous said...

Okay, so it's not my coding, it's something in Blogger. I'm doing the tags right and the preview looks fine, but then the posted comment looks all garfy.

Sigh.

I'll shut up now and quit hijacking Megan's blog. Cathy has already pointed out that I may as well start my own, if I insist on posting summaries of my own activities. Getting lunch now....

M. Lubbers said...

Glad to hear about your Office Snow Day, ladies! I hope you haven't touched one piece of official work all day.

Amy: No worries about the posts. To me it seems like another post that would keep readers coming back for interesting tidbits like the links ... but without any work on my part!

I can't decide how I feel about the MoreWords link. I'm more likely to just not finish the crossword puzzle or look in the back of the book for the answer. Because if I can't come up with it on my own, does it really matter? I can see it being very useful for when you're searching your memory for a word and can't find it, though ...