Thursday, June 01, 2006

A Telling Sound

My work keyboard is extremely loud. As I write e-mails or *ahem* blog entries, I feel like the "clacking" sound is reverberating around the entire office. People should be poking their heads out in wonderment at what I could possibly be typing.

Because, let's face it: I don't have that much to do. And what little work I do have does not require massive amounts of extended typing.

My boss today mentioned that the last girl just didn't work out. She could hear her typing all the time but she never did any filing or anything—she figures the girl must have been sending e-mails.

I wonder if my face gave me away as I quietly closed gmail and pretended to be hard at work on the latest report. If I do the filing and type e-mails at a furious rate, do you think I'll "work out" or be booted out?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's the question -- do you want to "work out" or be booted out??

Anonymous said...

I heartily concur with amyk.

Also:
I have the opposite problem -- too much mouse clicking when I should be typing or, gawd forbid, reading.

See, the bulk of my goofing off involves reading my personal e-mail, checking in on people's blogs, seeing how the Cleveland sports teams are doing, looking for interesting things to add to my Amazon wish list [not because I want people to buy me things, understand, but because it's a handy way to keep a list of things I want to request from the library eventually], catching up with recaps on Television Without Pity, etc. and so on.

Thus, long periods go by where I am staring slackjawed at my screen, mindlessly clicking and scrolling instead of focusing on the printouts on my desk and pausing to type up my notes or do a quick fact-check [OMG: Our Internet connection was on the fritz last week, and I actually had to look something up in a book. Eek! It felt so .... 1997.]

Anyhow, since our office is also deadly silent, I too feel that the noise stands out. Plus, as my nifty video may or may not have made clear, my desk is in direct sight of the office manager. But at least she hasn't said anything to me about it yet. I like to think that it's because I get all my actual work done ... eventually... but who knows. Good luck; if you come up with a solution (besides quitting!), let me know.

M. Lubbers said...

I think it changes minute by minute, whether I want the money or the freedom.

My own personal theory is that, if you get your work done, what does it matter? I have never actually espoused this theory to any of my bosses, though.