Thursday, June 22, 2006

World Cup Hopes

I've gotta be honest: I'm seriously depressed about the U.S. losing in the World Cup.

It took me a while to get into it this year. It wasn't really until it started that I remembered how exciting the World Cup is, and how much fun it is to get really involved.

It wasn't until the U.S. lost today that I remembered how much it sucks to root for a team that doesn't even make it past the opening round.

I miss the days when I lived, breathed, and slept soccer. In middle school/high school, I played on teams and practiced on my own. I played at least 9 months out of the year between indoor and outdoor teams. When I think back to lazy, carefree afternoons of childhood, what definitely stands out are the Friday afternoons the spring of my freshman year in high school. A bunch of people (mostly guys) would get together and just play until it got dark. It didn't really matter if you won or lost, as long as you played hard.

Rooting for the U.S. in this World Cup was bringing that feeling back to me. It makes me wonder what I've really played hard at lately. Trying to improve just for the sake of improving and seeing hard work pay off.

Even though the U.S. is out of it, hopefully I won't lose it entirely.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

soccer is all fun and games until someone breaks a nose.

-todd

M. Lubbers said...

Don't I know it. *nodding head*

But maybe it's time for you to get back in the saddle again. It's been over 10 years, right? Join a soccer team in Morristown and meet some lovely soccer ladies!