Friday, February 10, 2006

A Fleet of Servers

Last night Keith and I went to Dewey's Pizza with our friend Dan. Dewey's has really good pizza—I like the variety of their toppings and the fact that they offer at least 5 different pizzas with mushrooms. Their big "thing" is that you can get half-and-half pizzas, so you need not commit to one flavor, which is nice.

However (you knew it was coming), here's what I don't like about Dewey's. They have about a million servers. I don't understand it. It cannot possibly be efficient or better service.

The first time I ate at Dewey's was when they opened a restaurant just off campus in Dayton. I think I counted fiver servers throughout the meal. Keep in mind this is a pizza place; we ordered drinks and pizza. By the end of the meal I thought I was going to float away because my drink was refilled practically every time I took a sip.

I thought that this strange phenomena of a fleet of servers was particular to the Dayton restaurant. But apparently not, because we ate at the one in Oakley for the first time last night, and it was the same thing. One person seated us, then Misty took our drink orders. Then Candace came and asked if we were ready to order yet; we were, so we did. Bud brought us our pizza, Misty freshened our drinks, and then Candace stopped by to check that everything tasted fine.

When it got really ridiculous was when we were down to only two slices of pizza. At regular 60-second intervals, Misty, Candace, But, and Flo all stopped by to ask if we were going to finish the pizza or if we needed a box. Every time we told them we didn't need a box. How many times will we have to say it?!? Finally, Dan took the last piece off the tray so they would stop asking and Candace swooped in two seconds later to take the tray away. The restaurant was half-empty on a Wednesday night, but it felt like they were running out of pizza trays and needed that one stat.

Do they not realize that having 10 people ask us "Are you done yet?", "Are you done yet?" "Are you done yet?" counts as harassment? Not helpful. Harassment. Maybe it's some sort of scheme and they're hoping that, if you get asked enough times if you're interested in dessert, you'll break down and say "yes." Or you'll feel guilty because you've had a million servers and feel like you should leave a bigger tip.

I'm sort of scared now that, if we order delivery from Dewey's instead, it'll be like a clown car with a dozen delivery guys scrambling out from every door.

No comments: