Friday, February 03, 2006

My Perfect Weekend

I wouldn't say that it hinges on laziness, exactly. But I think my perfect weekend would need to have the time available to be lazy if that's what I wanted. Not every possible minute planned with activities and errands.

Friday night we'd stay in. We'd order pizza and watch a movie or TV. Mostly just decompress from the week. Somehow, all of the chores would have been miraculously done during the week so there wouldn't be any dirty laundry bursting out of the hamper or clean laundry strewn about the living room, waiting to be folded. I wouldn't spend the night thinking about all of the tasks I should really be doing over the weekend with all of my free time. I'd just relax and hang out.

Saturday would definitely require sleeping in, but it's a delicate balance. I want to feel the luxury of a "long lie" as the Brits say, but if I sleep too late I get mad because I've spent half the day unconscious. Which is totally different from getting up and deciding to sit around, due to the element of choice. Saturday afternoon would involve some sort of challenging yet fun physical activity. Hiking and a picnic, or a long run. (Did I mention that, if it's the perfect weekend, I'm in excellent physical condition and sweat gives my skin a radiant glow?) Saturday evening we'd go out to a concert or a movie or some other form of entertainment. I wouldn't get annoyed by the 7-ft tall man who came and shoved in front of me right before the concert started or the cell phone talker in the movie.

To be honest, Sunday really is about laziness. Lounging on the couch to watch football or TV or just stare off into space. Maybe do one or two errands, but be out of the house for an hour, max. Of course, with a perfect weekend, I wouldn't have to work on Monday because the knowledge of getting up in the morning for work taints Sunday evening, but maybe that's cheating.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YES! I think the suckiest part of the weekend is putting off all of the things you should be doing- but don't. They creep up on you, and suck out any kind of enjoyment in the relaxation, knowing that you aren't really relaxing to relax, you're relaxing to avoid - which is entirely a different concept. If you figure out how to make this so called "Perfect Weekend" exist - hook me up. :) I should get back to work...

Anonymous said...

I don't know what kind of crazy NBA-style concerts you go to, but be happy he only blocks your view. At least nobody poked you in the eye with a mohawk or studded jewelry. Ouch!

It's totally ok to be lazy on Sunday. The bible says so. That's the only part of the bible I can remember, coincidentally.