Sunday, February 26, 2006

House Hunting

So we've been looking at houses this weekend. And I have to tell you, it makes my head hurt.

If we had, say, a half-million dollars to spend, this wouldn't be hard. We might have a squabble over indoor or outdoor pool, or whether we needed a 3-car garage or a 3-tiered deck. But overall, I think we'd be able to come to an agreement pretty readily.

Surprisingly, we don't have that much. So the question is: do we get a fixer-upper that we can easily afford? Or do we stretch and get a house that we can actually live in, that isn't falling down around our ears?

Every day I change my mind about which I'd prefer. There seems like there would be something truly satisfying in taking a crumbling hole and turning it into a comfortable home. Not to mention, if we could make a profit off the house when we sell it in a few years, that's not a bad thing either.

But, as this past week has shown, I tend to get a tad bit overwhelmed with all of my many hobbies and interests. What makes me think we can also take on fixing up a house? Something that neither Keith nor I has any experience in. We've changed lightbulbs and unclogged drains and that's about the extent of it.

That makes me really want to move into a house that is already a comfortable home. In which I can come home and simply relax and try to keep up with all of my other commitments. In which the kitchen cabinets aren't falling off the walls and the pipes in the bathroom are actually attached. That's not too much to ask for, right?

I know that we could get it. But I'm also worried about becoming house poor. What if we get a fabulous, big house and we can't even afford to order pizza three times a week, like we do now? That's not a life! That's merely existing.

Part of me is hoping that something happens to make it all clear. We walk into a house and fall in love instantly. It's the perfect price, in the perfect neighborhood, and has both a 3-car garage and multi-tiered deck. And when I live in it, I'll have plenty of time to accomplish all of my hobbies, get 8 hours of sleep, and save the world in my spare time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Based on stories I heard from friends in your position, the ones who bought the fixer-uppers regretted it. But it really depends on what's wrong with it. Hoplessly outdated paint and wallpaper, carpet, and minor repairs, adding a 3-tier deck, aren't a big deal. Redoing electrical to code, plumbing, repairing water damage, foundation problems, etc., is a huge job. You'll be living in a perpetual state of construction that may end up costing more than just buying a slightly more expensive house off the bat. Either way, don't just use the seller's inspection report, get your own inspector. My sis avoided a huge mistake that way.

My sis spent a little more to get a house that only needs a fence to keep her kiddies from wandering off (and a non-pea-soup green paint job). She can't quit her job to stay home with the kids, but they also can do things other than repair the house.

Can you tell I have a good friend who is an architect?

Anonymous said...

I can almost guarantee that the exact house you are looking for is in the Greater Cincinnati area. I can't imagine, under any circumstances that it could be any place else!

Also a word of advice, I'm pretty sure the lack of "Rusty's" in northern Ohio drives down the resale value. Just a rumore I heard somewhere that I thought you would be interested in.