Thursday, February 02, 2006

My Magnetic Car

So apparently my car was surrounded by a magnetic force today. Every time I parked and went in a building, when I came back out the car next to me had parked perilously close. First it was a great white boat of an automobile that was actually over the line into my space. Into my parking spot! I had to turn my car to get out of the space without getting white paint on my adorable little silver Neon.

Then, I went to Panera for lunch. Granted, I was a little overly conscious of the proximity of other cars. When I parked, I got out and walked to the back of the car to survey the distance between myself and neighboring vehicles. Although the SUV on the driver's side seemed a tad close, that may just have been because it was a hulk of metal and appeared larger than life sized. After several moments of surveying with my head cocked to the side I straightened up, satisfied that we were all parked within our spaces and my car's magnetic force had not pulled anyone closer.

I went in and, for the record, got Chicken Noodle soup and a Sierra Turkey sandwich. (Perfect soup day in Cinci, today!) I read Great Expectations which, to my immense surprise, I'm actually really enjoying. I shouldn't be so surprised, because I know Dickens is one of my dad's favorite authors, but I still let myself get intimidated by people saying that his novels are too long and difficult. Of course, I always reserve the option to change my mind in Chapter 50 and take it all back.

But, back to the matter at hand. After nearly an hour, I too felt the magnetic pull of my car and went to head back to work. When I got to my car, I discovered that the massive SUV was gone and, in its place, a compact car had pulled in—of course, excessively close! I had to turn sideways to squeeze past the car to my door, and do the thing where you hold on to the door while getting in because if it swung out at all, it would hit the car next to you.

If it was just the first car, I would blame it on the fact that it was raining this morning and it must be hard to pilot that whale into the average parking spot, etc. But two cars in a row?!? It's obvious that my car had special magnetic powers today.

I think it had something to do with the weather, which was quite gray and overcast. Maybe there was some sort of electricity in the air that my car channeled. I wonder if I stood next to it with my hand on the hood, would my hair rise straight up in the air? Perhaps if it storms overnight, when I go out in the morning there will be a hub cap and empty pop can stuck to the doors. Having a magnetic car is a pain.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Random thought: You know what I haven't heard a lot of lately? "Oh, it's a good soup day!" (TM Sr. Linda)

But that's mostly because Cathy and I have been bolting for the relative privacy of our local Panera, and/or avoiding the 12-12:30 lunch period like the plague.

Anonymous said...

My beautiful Nessie was two days old when one of the nuns at work, who shall remain nameless (but her name rhymes with "fairy pain") parked really close and left a door dent in my fender. Nobody copped to it though. I'm sure they thought God would fix it or that I'd never notice. Hell, they probably never noticed.

My cars always have bullseyes on them. Every car I've owned--rear-ended more than once. So at least you don't have that. ;)